New Central Office for Montgomery Public Schools
Renovations and Additions are nearing completion to establish Montgomery Public School's new Central Office. The bulk of this project renovates buildings that made up the former Booker T. Washington High School. The three-story, former main campus building, will house offices for administrative personnel and conference rooms. Across Union Street, and connected by a pedestrian tunnel, will be the new field office and shop for the district's Facilities Department, as well as a teaching facility to serve the culinary arts program for the school system.
The site on which these buildings stand was established in 1869 for Swayne College. This paved the way for the establishment of Booker T. Washington High School in 1925, where it operated until damaged by fire in 2018. Both sites and buildings are officially recognized by the Alabama Historical Association.